Wednesday, December 3, 2008

First Birthday

My mom would have been 77 today. I bought my sister, my brother and myself small marzipan pigs in her honor. Maybe if I'm a good big sister I'll actually send the pigs off....

It's surprisingly sad, another small good-bye in this long process of grief. There are many small reminders along the way, but a birthday is a larger reminder. I think of birthdays as reminding me of joy and gratitude - and now, this birthday reminds me of sorrow. Still, I am glad that I had many years of being reminded of joy, and that my mom lived long enough that I was able to appreciate her.
Jeremy sent this picture of her marker to commemorate the occasion. I had stopped by her grave when I was last in Cincinnati, but alas, the marker was not to be found.

No comments: