Tuesday, January 20, 2009

National Day of Service

Well, maybe national WEEKEND of service! As a supporter of first Hillary's, then Obama's, campaigns, I was contacted via e-mail to participate in a day of service for Martin Luther King Jr. Day. I was happy to sign up for a Red Cross Disaster Preparedness course, donating household goods to Goodwill, and donating blood.

Sunday dawned with a deep blanket of snow, as Jim and I ventured out for my blood donation appointment. Donating blood never bothers me, and I am very grateful that I was able to receive blood transfusions when I needed them 20 years ago. I haven't been able to donate due to severe anemia for a while, and I'm also thankful that's resolved. There was a give a pint, get a pound promotion so now I am the proud owner of a coupon for a pound of Dunkin' Donut coffee.... The remainder of the day was spent doing errands, and digging through our back bedroom, attic and basement for goods to donate. Poor, long-suffering Jimpy was enlisted to haul endless boxes to the car.

Monday, the actual day of service, began with taking my Red Cross course online - which actually was interesting and useful. Another foray into the attic for more giveaways (enlisting Cici as well) increased the load in the car, and Jim, Bonnie and I ventured out to the wilds of Central Square to rid ourselves of assorted boxes and bags of giveaways. It fell to poor Jim to wade through the knee deep slush 8 or so times hauling boxes back and forth. The Goodwill store was pretty amazing - very crowded, and with a very diverse crowd. Jim met a former neighbor, who said he thought he had died. Naturally, rumors of his demise were greatly exaggerated!

No comments: