Friday, January 23, 2009

The Cake Lady - Welcome at the Office

A few years ago I heard a story on NPR (lying in bed listening, supposed to be getting up in the morning!) I think it acted as a subliminal suggestion!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6243629

As with the NPR cake lady, my husband is not a cake person. He's also not a chocolate person, candy person, and mostly not a cookie person. In the case of chocolate, fine, more for me! I'm not a cake person either in the sense of EATING cakes. But, I've found I really enjoy baking cakes, and without children in the house, the only appreciative audience is the dog. And Wednesday Bake Club only comes once a week, and really, I only get to bake for that once every quarter or so.

Lately, I've been cruising the great web sites smittenkitchen.com and epicurious.com, and baking.... Even the dog's vet clinic has been a recipient of the crazy cake lady's largesse, but mostly, my co-workers. So far, Epicurious' Aunt Holly's Banana Bread takes top honors, but SmittenKitchen's Chocolate Stout Cake and my own Chocolate Creme de Menthe Cake aren't far behind.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2006/11/ganached-guinness-goodness/

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Aunt-Hollys-Banana-Bread-239027

My favorite tools in this madness - an old aluminum tube pan that was my grandmother's, larger than a bundt pan; a large round melamine serving plate from Anthropologie; and a very handy cake carrier. I LOVE my cake carrier.

No comments: