Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Circumventing the Kangamungus Crowds for Columbus Day: Keeping it local


The leaves are turning, and while the scenery in the White Mountains is undeniably stunning (and peaking this past weekend) the crowds and miles of gas consumption proved quite a deterrent. So we made do with some local color at Harvard Divinity School, the Cambridge Cemetery, Habitat, and the new park near Neville Manor.
(and Bonnie made do with some grass/sand/pine needle swimming....)
Stopping at our local butchers and gourmet shop Savenors, we scored some lovely veal bones and fancy mushrooms for stock, and on the way out, discovered a beautiful monarch butterfly (unfortunately deceased.)

It reminded me of a trip to the Hamden fair in Connecticut when I was six - the family had made the trip in my father's old Citroen. I swallowed a bee in my cotton candy (naturally it was NOT happy and stung me.) My parents led me and Alex back to the car and my wails were silenced by the discovery of a car full of monarch butterflies! I've never forgotten it.